- Slipknot (out of Eyes 6-20-74) (5:34)
- Slipknot (inside The Other One 2-23-74) (3:17)
- Slipknot (within a longer jam 7-25-74) (5:22)
- Slipknot (inside Playin’ 2-22-74) (4:27)
- Slipknot (out of Eyes 10-20-74) (1:52)
Jerry Garcia introduced the “Slipknot” riff into the band’s live jamming five times in 1974, including the first and last shows of the year. These early appearances aren’t “Slipknot” proper, since the band is just doing whatever comes naturally at the time, but there’s some added satisfaction in hearing them all together, juxtaposed with the riffs and jamming modes of several different songs.
I have kept a fair amount of surrounding material on most of these edits, so the context isn’t lost, and you can hear the riff sliding in and out of the proceedings. So, this isn’t truly 20 minutes of “Slipknot,” but rather 20 minutes of jamming in which “Slipknot” keeps appearing.