- Scarlet Begonias (7:51)
- Truckin’ Jam > Approach to Eyes > (8:59)
- Eyes of the World > (15:29)
- A Mostly Quiet Space (7:40)
- Playin’ in the Band Jam (9:40)
- Not Fade Away > (9:59)
- Goin’ Down the Road Feelin’ Bad (7:28)
This is an excellent show, very much worth a full listen on archive.org. Including “Seastones,” it’s 3.5 hours long, with very few lame spots. This mix just brings together some improvisational highlights.
There are two portions that strike me as particularly notable:
1) A subtle “Truckin’” jam gradually finds its way to an unorthodox start to “Eyes,” and then the “Eyes” jam is one of those lower-key noodly ones, but it still manages to hit the synchronized riff climaxes accurately and sail out of them with great propulsion. It then proceeds into a wonderful, mostly-minimalist space led by a Garcia solo.
2) The “Not Fade Away” jam goes to places that are unfamiliar to me. The riff and rhythm are bent completely out of shape by the end.
The “Scarlet Begonias” doesn’t hold any unique revelations, but it’s from the first month that the song was expanded to include several minutes of jamming, and it’s delightful.
Again, this show is worth listening to in full, but if you particularly want to spend time with some high-level improvisation, this highlights reel should please you.
With the exceptions of presenting only the forward-moving part of the “Playin’” jam and skipping the song part of “Truckin’,” this is all as-played.